Forming Communities of Practice

May 2, 2013

Image

I work with a great team here at the SGEI.  With the end of the academic year closing in on us, we have spent some time re-envisioning how we would like to address the Common Core. Since we view learning and teaching as a process of collaboration, creativity and sharing, our team has decided to form Common Core Communities of Practice.

These CoPs will focus on grassroots improvement of practice and provide a collaborative onsite/virtual workspace for teachers to connect instructional practices and inspire creative implementation, gain in-depth knowledge and take immediate action steps to enhance learning and teaching.

It’s all going to begin with a conference we have designed for August 8. The Kean Institute for the Common Core Statewide Teacher Conference will provide a professional learning experience designed for NJ teachers by NJ teachers. The day will start with a presentation by Lauren Marrocco, 2013 NJ State Teacher of the Year and continue with breakout sessions designed and facilitated by classroom practitioners.

Please consider joining us not only for the conference on August 8, but for the Saturday morning CoP gatherings

1. May 5, 2013 5:02 pm

I am impressed by the wonderful things you are doing and look forward to following your blog. If you are interested i recently wrote a blog post with advice on how to start online communities. I look forward to following your work.

2. Hannah Still permalink
    June 9, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Lisa!
    My name is Hannah Still and I am in EDM 310 at The University South Alabama with Dr. Strange. I really enjoyed your post because I just started learning about the Common Core this week. The new changes sound great and I can’t wait to hear more about them!

3. Caitlin Lankford permalink
    June 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Ms. Thumann, my name is Caitlin Lankford. I am in EDM310 at the University of Alabama. I will be visiting your blog as an assignment for class! For this particular blog post, I really enjoyed reading about collaborative onsite/virtual workspace for teachers! Being in EDM310, EVERYTHING is done on a computer. However, I am tech savvy so I was excited to be in the class. I cannot wait to use technology in my future classroom!

4. Brittany A. permalink
    July 6, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi, I am a student at the University of South Alabama in the course EDM 310. I was assigned to your blog, and I really enjoyed looking and reading around. I enjoyed this post because I think its great to try to create online communities so teachers can collaborate about the Common Core. Im excited to read more and see how they form!

5. Lance Wilkinson permalink
    September 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Ms. Thumann,

Common Core Communities of Practice sound like a great way to encourage new applications to Common Core Standards.

I especially support your view that learning and teaching is a process of collaboration, creativity, and sharing!

As an aspiring educator, I cannot wait to see what the future holds for the development of Common Core Communities of Practice.

Best,

Lance Wilkinson
    wilkinsonlanceedm310.blogspot.com

6. Victoria Williams permalink
    October 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi, my name is Victoria Williams and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am currently taking EDM 310 and I have been assigned to visit your blog post. I think that it is really impressive how much you want to help teachers. Creating an virtual workplace will create more opportunities for educators.

Thanks,
    Victoria Williams

7. October 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Ms. Thumann,
    I enjoyed reading about Common Communities of Practice. This virtual work space you and your team have created is something I feel each state should implement. I think this is a great way to help teachers learn ways to apply creativity and collaboration to their instruction in the classroom. I would love to attend a conference such as this in Alabama!

8. November 5, 2013 1:54 pm

Ms. Thumann, my name is Jacquelyne Mckiernan. I am a student in EDM310 at the University of Alabama. I really enjoyed reading about collaborative onsite/virtual workspace for teachers! Being in this class has taught me a bunch of really useful ways to use technology as a teacher. I cannot wait to use technology in my future classroom!

1. Forming Communities of Practice to.support #CCS...