Untapped Apps on Google Drive

November 14, 2012

I presented for the Google Education on Air conference earlier today.  Here’s a link to the resources I shared: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r8knG7JkGV8R-FTSbpeyj7IF92j5GJIhSGjDwtgCugU/edit

As I went to share it in this space, I found this post I had drafted in October before Hurricane Sandy hit NJ. I hope the additional suggestions are helpful.

Have you taken a look at what you can install in Google Drive? By installing these apps, you can access them easily in Google Docs. There are no additional username and passwords, the apps travel with your Google Account not your device and are simple to use. Let’s take a look at just a few. You can find them all in the Google Drive Apps section of the Chrome Web Store.

Pixlr Editor
This is an online image editor. If you are looking for a replacement for Picnik, this app contains lots of the features that you would like to see.  There is no registration required and Pixlr runs quickly.

HelloFax
HelloFax makes it easy to sign documents and send faxes online. You’ll never need to print, sign and scan documents again! Integrate Google Drive & HelloFax and you’ll be on your way to a paperless office. HelloFax has two primary features:

WeVideo
WeVideo is the world’s premier platform for collaborative video editing. This video editor enables you to create your own movies with simple drag-and-drop functionality and a timeline systemizing your edit. Effects, music, transitions and graphics can be added instantly – no need to wait for all that rendering any more!

GeoGebra
GeoGebra is free dynamic mathematics software for all levels of education that joins geometry, algebra, graphing, and calculus in one easy-to-use package. Our desktop application from http://www.geogebra.org is used by millions of students and teachers around the world and has received several educational software awards in Europe and the USA.

Twisted Wave
TwistedWave is a full featured audio editor that allows you to edit audio files in your Google Drive. You can also use Twisted Wave to edit sounds off your computer. This app is similar to Audacity or Aviary.

RightSignature
Send contracts, forms, proposals, applications – any document you need signed – for legally-binding e-signature with a few clicks. Your customers fill out and sign documents online in any web browser, or even on an iPad, iPhone, or Android device.

1. November 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Dear Lisa,

My name is Jazmin, and I am a current student at the University of South Alabama. Thank you for sharing information about the Google Drive apps, and their functions. I have recently set up a Google account for my Edm310 class this semester, and I am still getting use to using Google Drive. Actually the apps you mention will be very useful for my class because, we do a lot of similar projects that the app tools provide. I wish I would have known about these tips earlier in the semester; it probably would have made my assignments a lot easier if I did! Again thank you for your post, and I will plan to use the apps later on.

2. February 12, 2013 7:12 pm

WOW! So I didn’t know about all of these wonderful apps you can install with your google account! I am very thankful for your blog and posts because I am constantly learning new and great things! I am a student, as I mentioned in my last comment of your most recent blog post, at the University of South Alabama! Keep the wonderful information coming!

3. April 3, 2013 10:49 am

Dear Lisa,
    My name is Kameron and I am a student at the University of South Alabama.This post is gold! I had no idea these apps were available! I am an aspiring math teacher and I will definitely use GeoGebra and WeVideo. I am new to google, google drive, etc., so helpful post like this will be added to my Simbaloo page! If you have any other helpful suggestions about Google drive, please stop by my blog and leave a comment!
    Sincerely,
    Kameron Strickland

@jessicakamerons

4. Caitlin Lankford permalink
    June 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Ms. Thumann, I love this post! Before I started EDM310, I never knew anything about “Google Drive.” After reading this post, I never knew you could get apps on “Drive.” That is so cool!! I cannot wait to get these apps so that I can use them in my future classroom!!

5. Hannah Still permalink
    June 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Dear Lisa,
    My name is Hannah and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed your post. It was so informative and brought many new google drive apps to my attention. I had never even heard of most of these. I am going into elementary education and I am excited to use several of these in my classroom. I think that Twisted Wave would really come in handy. This would be a fun app for me to use as well as the students. Thank you for your post and I can’t wait to use some of these apps in the classroom.

6. June 29, 2014 8:06 pm

Dear Lisa,
    My name is Emily and I am a current student at the University of South Alabama. You post has so many great resources that I did not know existed! I have just recently started using Google Drive, and it has become so useful in my classes, and helps organize my thoughts into one area. Thank you for the valuable information!