NY/NJ Mobile Learning Summit

September 30, 2012

I’ve been a bad, bad blogger.

I looked back at my recent posts and realized that I am only posting about once a month. It’s not that I don’t have anything to say, it’s that work and life is so busy. Lame excuse, right?  You’ve probably said the same thing at some point in time, so let me off the hook, just this once as life really has been hectic.

I’ve been working on many things since I moved over to the SGEI at Kean University 11 months ago. Here’s a few of them:

1. Designed and launched a new SGEI website
  2. Contracted with new consultants so that we are now a Google Apps EDU Professional Learning Organization
  3. Worked with the SGEI staff to develop this amazing list of PD sessions for the 2012-2013 academic year
  4. Planned several large events at the University including the 2nd annual NY/NJ Google Apps Summit and the Mobile Learning Summit coming up this November (see below)

On November 2, school administrators, teachers and network specialists will gather at the STEM Building at Kean University for the inaugural Mobile Learning Summit

Presenting districts in New Jersey include:

• West Morris Regional School District
    • Randolph Township School District
    • Parsippany-Troy Hills School District
    • Springfield Public Schools
    • West Orange Public Schools
    • Morris School District

Keynote Speaker,  Lisa Dawley, Ph.D., will be presenting “Creating a Successful Mobile Adoption in the Classroom and Beyond!” in the STEM Auditorium and then attendees will select sessions of their choosing including Mobile Devices for Formative Assessment and a panel presentation: Moving Towards a 1:1 – Policies, Procedures and Legal Landmines.

The Mobile Learning Summit is designed for the K-20 education community to discuss, learn and share best practices in regards to Mobile Learning. Visit the Summit website for more information and to register.
Seating is limited. (Please contact me with any questions.)

1. October 1, 2012 8:32 am

Lisa, you HAVE been busy! It sounds like you have been working on some really amazing projects in less than a year. I’m so glad that your move to Kean has been such a good experience for you. I’m really excited about your mobile learning summit. I can’t wait to see how it goes! Keep us posted :-)

2. October 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Lisa, I have commented on your previous post. My name is Nancy Nelson and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Al. I was assigned this blog for my EDM 310 class. I will be posting about this post and your previous one on my blog at nelsonnancyedm310.blogspot.com. I can understand being busy, but it sounds like you have been extremely busy. I will definitley look at the website you provided. Mobile learning is becoming more and more important in classrooms. I wish I could be there to experience this conference. Please feel free to contact me using my twitter account @NancyN91 and my blog at nelsonnancyedm310.blogspot.com

3. Jordan Patterson permalink
    October 22, 2012 12:08 am

Lisa, I have posted a comment on your blogs before and always really enjoy reading your blogs. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. It looks like you have been extremely busy. I am going look at the websites you provided. Thanks for posting this and i looked forward to reading your future blogs.

4. October 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Hello Ms. Thurmann,

My name is Daniel Morgan and I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. Thank you for sharing all of your hard work with us. I am looking forward to the day when teachers can begin using mobile technologies in the classroom. Keep up the good work and thank you again.

5. December 2, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Lisa,

I am Jazmin, and I am a current student at the University of South Alabama. I posted a brief comment on your post for Google Apps. It sounds to me like you have had a heavy load on your shoulders, which seems to me you are holding up pretty well! I think technology in the 21st century is very important, and I like how you work with others to guide them along the way to learn these new sources. In EDM 310 we are learning some ways to present technology into the classroom, but I am pretty sure your organization goes beyond EDM 310 sources. Thank you for taking the time to read my comment.

6. March 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Lisa, kuddos to you for choosing life over a blog post! It sounds like you are lady with her priorities in order! I checked out all the links you provided, and you haven’t been bad… you’ve been busy! The link that most interested me was the NY/NJ Google Apps Summit. It made me wonder if there is a similar conference held in Alabama. My instructor this semester has opened up the world of google to me as a teaching and learning tool. I never knew they offered so much in the name of education for free! It’s wonderful! If there isn’t a Google Apps Summit for Alabama educators, we certainly need one. Once again, thanks for posting such useful information. I’m going to search for information on the google apps conference now!