Change is Good

October 21, 2011

Yesterday I resigned from position at the CMSCE at Rutgers University.

Today I listened to Dr. Punya Mishra keynote at  TechForum NY. Dr. Mishra’s presentation reminded me how important it is to publish and share. He spoke of how it’s not the technology, or the device, it’s the teaching methodologies that help students meet their objectives. Though I already knew this, it was refreshing today to hear it and see the nodding heads in the room.

What do I want to do?

My plan is to continue working with educators, administrators and students on 21st Century skills. What do I mean by that? Dr. Mishra said it well, when he said we need to prepare students for the technology of five years from now. We should not be spending precious instructional time on tools as technology should not be taught in isolation. We should combine pedagogy, content and technology in authentic ways.

This is the challenge I face as I join Mike Searson and Janis Jensen at the  School for Global Education and Innovation at Kean University on November 7, 2011. I’m looking forward to this very much. I will miss my colleagues at Rutgers as change is hard. On November 7, I will start my day with the phrase “BRING IT ON!” as change is good.

1. October 21, 2011 10:04 am

Congratulations! You are an incredible professional as well as an amazing person and I’m so happy for you. Kean should only know half how lucky they are!

2. October 21, 2011 10:57 am

Congrats Lisa, so happy for you! I know they will love you!

3. October 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Congratulations on taking the plunge and mixing things up for yourself! Your new colleagues are in for a treat :-)

• October 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks Melanie and Laurie – I’m really looking forward to this new experience!!

4. October 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Change is ALWAYS good!! Congrats on challenging yourself and making the educational world a better place again at KEAN!!

5. October 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Oh Lisa I’m in awe of you. Such a brave and confident move! I’m rooting for ya!

• October 22, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks Cathy!!
      I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. I appreciate the encouragement.

6. October 22, 2011 8:58 am

Lisa,
    I introduced myself to you just yesterday at the TechForum Conference after your presentation on Web 2.0 tools in the Classroom. I thought both you and Adam did a fabulous job! Thanks for taking a few minutes to answer my questions. My hope is to follow in your footsteps and become an educational technology leader/consultant in the next few years. Thanks for setting such an awesome example. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Alexandria Jiménez, NYCDOE
    ajimenez2@schools.nyc.gov

• October 22, 2011 9:22 am

Alexandria,

Thank you for coming up to us after the presentation. I wish you all the best in your professional development. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me again,

7. October 22, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Lisa

Best of luck to you! Get out there and do the great work that you do with educators! See you soon

Brian

8. October 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Lisa,
    I’m so excited that you’re starting this new stage in your professional life. Congratulations on your new job and I can’t wait to hear how you’re making a difference at Kean!

We’re all cheering you on! :-)

9. October 24, 2011 9:03 am

My friend Lisa!

You are amazing! You are a true example to me. Congratulations! I am sure this is just a new beginning of greater things that will come on your way. I will be praying for you friend!
    Raquel Williams

10. Christy Tvarok Green permalink
    October 25, 2011 9:34 am

Congratulations Lisa! I’m sure your expertise and professionalism will much appreciated at Kean! Change is good… and you’re brave and fabulous for doing it!

11. October 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Congratulations! Making a change can certainly be scary but exciting at the same time. Good luck and keep sharing! Have fun on November 7th.

12. November 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Mrs. Thumann,
    I am a pre-service teacher at University of South Alabama in EDM 310, and congratulations! What a wonderful privilege to transition from teaching the public school arena to concentrating on what you really love to do. Twenty years is a long time, and you have much experience to share with others; how exciting to be at the School for Global Education and Innovation! You really will be on the forefront of 21st century technology in the classroom.
    You’re so right about preparing students for technology five years from now. There’s no telling how different things will be then, judging by how different things are today from five years ago.
    I wish you the best, and know that your passion and experience will go a long way in your influence on our future! Thank you again for all that you do, will do and have done!

Gretchen McPherson
    EDM 310
    University of South Alabama

• November 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks for your comment Gretchen and good luck with your studies!!